The Latin American Legal Defense
and Education Fund (LALDEF) organization offers an ESL program in Trenton for low literacy Spanish-speaking adults.
There are two internship positions for post-graduate students pursuing a Master of Education in TESL, one for a teacher, and another who would take on the management of this program in addition to teaching.
The positions are available year-round. The program offers 3 cycles of 11-week classes (Feb-Apr, May-July, Sep-Nov). Each cycle accepts 25 students and use the Ventures curriculum (Cambridge University press). These are multi-level classes with students in 3 different levels.
The work of the program manager would be supported by 8-10 volunteer tutors, some of which are bilingual undergraduate students from the Spanish Department of TCNJ. Classes are scheduled one weeknight (in spring and fall), a Friday morning (in winter only) and on a Saturday afternoon.
Please contact Maria (Charo) Juega, Executive Director of LALDEF at 609-688-0881 for further information.
• A Bachelors degree in Education/Linguistics with an average 3.0 GPA or higher
• Be enrolled in a post-graduate program of study leading to a Master or PhD degree in Education, preferably in teaching English as a Second language or Bilingual education
• Fluency in Spanish highly desired
• Able to dedicate an average of 4-hours per week with a flexible schedule, involving evening and weekend hours
• Prior experience teaching, or tutoring low literacy adult students highly desirable